Monday, August 28, 2006

Early Morning Airport Adventures

Yet another exciting trip to LaGuardia. Arose at 4:40a and left the house at 5:15a for a 7:21a flight. rain was quite heavy so I knew it would be a challenging drive. Go up to and on the Driscoll Bridge on the Garden State when there was a Jeep Cherokee or whatever facing the wrong direction in the right lane, silly SUV driver. They do seem to forget that physics does still apply to them, and the ability to "go" doesn't always equate with the ability to turn and stop. Well at least they have taken away the title of arrogant overly aggressive driver from us BMW owners. Anyway, I migrated left to avoid the pretty lights, and got so tied up in traffic I missed the offramp for the outerbridge crossing. No worries, jump on NJ Turnpike up to the Goethals. Zipped across as traffic wasn't too bad over to Staten Island or onto Verrazzano into Brooklyn, then I heard the traffic report - overturned garbage truck on BQE by the Brooklyn Bridge - aaaahhhhhh. In fact it was quite bad, and I'm not too sure about othe routes so I stuck it out, fortunately the truck was going the other way so we mostly had rubber necking and residual back-ups from people exiting and finding other routes. At about 6:40 I called home to say I was likely going to miss my plane. Then once we cleared the accident traffic which subsided shortly after passing the scene - the Koskiosko Bridge (aka the vortex of driving retardation) was clear sailing and there was virtually no more traffic the rest of the way to LaGuardia. I pulled into the parking lot according to the time stamp on the parking ticket at 6:55am - 26 minutes before flight time - still an outside chance. I made a mad dash for the security line expecting the worst and hoping I could ask to be moved to the front. Not necessary - due to the no fluids, gels, pastes or other such substance rule, the lines at security are quite reduced as people are now checking more luggage. My wait time (unlike last week in Philadelphia) was zero - only the time it took to show my "papers" and clear security. I walked onto the plane at 7:02 according to my phone, seven minutes from car to plane, that has to be a record at LaGuardia. Again thanks to more luggage in the belly of the plane, I easily found overhead space for both my laptop bag and suitcase. I normally would not place both in the overhead but the plane was nearly full, and I doubted anyone else would be seeking space so I took the opportunity to have a bit more leg room.

This is about the 5th or 6th time I've flown out of LaGuardia and been seriously doubting my ability to catch my plane midway through my drive, only to have things turn around in the end and make it. Add to it the fact that I even squeezed in a bit of excercise - I'd say it was at least a 400 yard run from parking to security carrying 2x25lb bags, that had my heart pumping. All in all an interesting morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How in the world you were clear sailing at the Koskiosko bridge is totally beyond me....You must be some kind of witch or spirit. Were you in a flying car? I am just flabergasted!

Koskiosko bridge as the vortex of driving retardation is a registered trademark of James Hammond and James Hammond, Inc. Copyright 2005.x