Sunday, April 26, 2009

weather.com is ad-noying to the max

Today I was reminded why I never use weather.com. First - it never simply accepts what I want. Example I type in: Detroit, MI. It comes back and gives me two choices: Detroit Michigan and Detroit Wayne County Airport. Now I ask you - if I type Detroit, MI don't you think I want Detroit, Michigan? Also - how different could weather possibly be between the airport and downtown. So I choose Detroit and am presented with a very nice banner at the top of the screen allowing me to search for more stuff, and an advertisement off to the right for water, or something. It tells me what the temperature is right now - which is actually useful data. I need to scroll down to find out what the next 36 hours may bring, I won't even go into the scrolling feature of web sites, far too much information is buried down below instant visibility for my taste, but that is an entire other rant. I count a total of 7 ads on this page alone, not counting the software push to have weather on my desktop. I am therefore an avid user of wunderground.com - although they too are slipping into ad nonsense.

1 comment:

Christie said...

I have also had so many similar frustrating experience with weather.com, especially when searching for non-US locations. Even London! London is apparently London, Great Britain. Don't be silly and try to search for London, England!