Thursday, December 29, 2005

Christmas fun with Dry Ice

For Christmas - my family received a gift from family packed in Dry Ice. The scientist in me couldn't resist having some fun and playing with the ice since to quote Velma: "When you put dry ice in water, you get a really spooky fog!" We started out trying to pour some water over the ice.
Click for Large Image
This worked fairly well at generating fog but it mostly stayed in the container it was in and didn't really flow. After a little bit of testing we discovered that putting hot water in a bowland throwing in a few pieces of dry ice really generated some serious fog.
Click for Large Image Click for Large Image

It generated so much that it flowed out of the bowl and down the sides of the counter.
Click for Large Image

I then took a dime sized piece of ice, a decent swig of hot water and generated a nice cloud from out of my mouth ;-).
Click for Large Image

Lastly while shuffling around the ice with a spoon so as not to get burned we noted that it sounded quite a bit like it was being tortured when touching the spoon to the ice - check the video (if you can't get the video to play try saving it to your hard drive).
To quote Manav: "Good Fun!"

2 comments:

Scott Hayden said...

Good stuff indeed, especially the torturing sounds. Are you sure that is not just a audio from Gitmo or Abu Ghraib playing?

By the way, who is Manav?

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just came across your blog after Googling for dry ice fog images for my new company's website: www.driceco.com. We're a dry ice manufacturing company in Tanzania. Although our focus is on food preservation I wanted to get the fun message across as well. So, I hope you don't mind, but I've added your blog link to my site.