Sunday, May 28, 2006

Injured

Well I guess I need to learn to slow down a bit. Yesterday we went into Manhattan to walk around buy some knock-offs and basically hang out. While walking in the area of city hall my daughter started walking on some posts. She does gymnastics so she was going pretty well. I decided to try as well. I've done it before so figured it would be easy. I started to go along and Kellie decided to pause for a moment. I told her to go to the next one as I stepped, but she didn't. In an effort to not knock her down I lost my balance and fell (I am not a gymnast). I managed to not hit my head but did land rather hard on my hands and both of my wrists hurt. We walked towards Chinatown and my right wrist started hurting more and more. I started to get flushed and our neighbor went in to get some ice at McD's. Putting ice on it really helped.


After applying ice we noticed we were standing outside the Chinatown Health Clinic. Great we'll go in, get an ace bandage and I'll be fine. We went into the first floor, and this was the women's section so they sent us up to floor 2. We'd tried to explain the situation to the woman behind the counter and explained that we wanted an Ace bandage, and would be happy to pay for it. She went into the back and returned with a handful of band-aids. I guess all she heard was bandage, my daughter and her friend almost laughed out loud. We tried to explain wrapping my arm, she said they didn't have anything. We walked until we found a pharmacy. I purchased an Ace bandage, and an instant ice pak. Wrapped my wrist, popped a few advils and it felt much better.


We walked around a bit more and my arm started to hurt some more. I unwrapped and checked and there was a good sized knot on my wrist. We determined an x-ray may be in order so we headed for the ferry. On the way to the ferry we (meaning my wife and neighbor) purchased two more purses. We caught the 5:00 ferry and my arm was really starting to hurt. We drove to the emergency room, hung out for a bit, got an x-ray. Diagnosis: broken! I now have a splint, and bandage and will likely need a cast, I'm going to an orthopaedist on Tuesday. I hope no pins or anything.


More Tuesday!!

4 comments:

Scott Hayden said...

You know thet you are getting older and bones are a little frail now. Be careful before you break a hip and they have to disconnect the feeding tube

Anonymous said...

Uncle Ernie wants to know if you missed the sign that people over 40 are not permitted to walk on the concrete pillars....but actually, we sort of feel bad. I would like you to get a blue cast. I don't think that's asking too much...I could have said neon pink...or rainbow like the one I had in Kindergarten.

Anonymous said...

I thought only old ladies got the brittle bones!

Christie said...

So...what's the diagnosis? Can you work or on short term disability?